Second chance hamsters

He looks more confident already! It's interesting, even his head/face looks small like a baby's! Although he does look slightly more grown up there (maybe confidence).

I've rearranged the Hamster Heaven again. I really struggle with that cage and its low height trying to fit a bigger wheel in. I'm toying with the idea of extending the height in part of the cage with a small cage or plastic box.

Reactions: Maz
He really does look like a baby, tiny but the baby face look too. Great to hear things are going well so far.
I struggle with an 8’ wheel in that cage, anything bigger must be really difficult.

I've rearranged the Hamster Heaven again. I really struggle with that cage and its low height trying to fit a bigger wheel in. I'm toying with the idea of extending the height in part of the cage with a small cage or plastic box.
You're good at DIY Beryl. You'll have it sorted in no time. I've got the A-Team music going through my head again... 🎶
I can imagine you bursting out of the shed shouting "I love it when a plan comes together" just like Hannibal from the A-Team.

....and then i suddenly remembered that i'm going to take in only Robos for rehoming and the HH is great for dwarfs as it is. Hmm...

....and then i suddenly remembered that i'm going to take in only Robos for rehoming and the HH is great for dwarfs as it is. Hmm...
Does that mean you're going to invest in a bigger cage for Davy and rescue a robo for HH cage? 🤔 I remember you saying one robo at a time...🤣

Davy ate some porridge and must have spent the night on his wheel going by the state of it.
I saw his poops this morning and they look normal so i moved him into the HH just now.

He can settle in now as this will be his home for a while. I don't expect to see much of him the next few days because the HH is full of hidey places with a lot of overhead cover to help him feel secure.

It's off the floor on a trolley so the other hamsters can't reach the bars. I think the sounds and smells of the freeroaming hamsters will eventually catch his curiosity. That's what happened with the other rescue hamsters who stayed in the same spot.

Davy acts like a baby and he's extremely fast at the moment. He's in a comfy cage and can take as long as he needs to become himself.

He's not in this photo because he dived into the substrate. I'm only showing what i have done with the HH this morning while Lilly run around inspecting everything on the floor.

20230414_143455.jpg

It looks great. He is bound to be a bit shy and skitty at first with the changes but he has a lot to do in there. It's a real fiddle fitting a Syrian sized wheel in isn't it?

It looks great. He is bound to be a bit shy and skitty at first with the changes but he has a lot to do in there. It's a real fiddle fitting a Syrian sized wheel in isn't it?
It is. This is a 26cm/10in wheel which is big enough for him. The cage is too low to attach it to the bars so i had to put it on the stand. I tried various ways but nothing really worked. I almost took the plastic shelf out but then thought that he may like a lot of cover. If he jams the wheel, i'll drill holes in the base and bolt it upsidedown to the roof.
I'm glad i left the plastic shelf in because he's under there somewhere.

Reactions: Maz
That does look good, lots of places to feel safe until he gets a bit braver.

Back