Second chance hamsters

You might remember it took about 2 months before I could hold Raffy :). And then he only accepted it when he was on the sofa on a level with me.

He really is only 86g and he was lighter than that when i got him.

He's currently running around on the floor and i let him have the whole freeroaming area. I should be able to catch him easy enough as he's light coloured.

You might remember it took about 2 months before I could hold Raffy :). And then he only accepted it when he was on the sofa on a level with me.
Oh yes, i remember and Raffy was a bit snappy at first.

Davy is enjoying the freedom. I think freeroaming also helps to build their confidence. Getting to know their environment shows them that there's nothing to be afraid of.

Davy is zooming around on the floor at the moment. He climbed on his door again so i picked him up and then did some pick up exercises from my lap. Not many because he wanted to get onto the floor.

I don't think it's going to take him long to gain confidence because he's curious and keen to explore.

I have put him up for adoption because he needs a forever home where he can settle down. No harm in putting the word out and as always, my ads include a message or two.

It must be the lighting. His colour looks different and less cream somehow. It will be a shame to see him go, but nice if you can find him a good home and he's got used to being handled.

I just spoke to a lady who adopted a dwarfie from me in the past.
She volunteers in a local animal charity charity shop.
We talked about cages and she informed me that they broke up and binned a donated hamster cage recently because it was too small to be sold.
They have minimum size requirements in place.

That is good to know that charity shops have minimum sizes :-) Was it a pdsa shop by any chance?!

It would be good if some of these online used sales places would have a policy of not allowing small cages to be sold. If you look on Gumtree and ebay there are often lots of really quite small cages for sale from previous hamster owners. If they had a policy of saying you can't list it for sale unless it's at least x size - people would know to bin them and it would help keep them out of circulation.

It would be good if some of these online used sales places would have a policy of not allowing small cages to be sold. If you look on Gumtree and ebay there are often lots of really quite small cages for sale from previous hamster owners. If they had a policy of saying you can't list it for sale unless it's at least x size - people would know to bin them and it would help keep them out of circulation.
That would be fantastic.

Back