Second chance hamsters

He looks really lovely. Glad he has a safe home with you now.

How lovely, he seems quite confident? Perhaps he’s just super pleased to have a cosy home with a lovely wheel he can whizz about on :)

Enjoying a wheel :) . He'll soon get the hang of it. If he's flying out, it suggests he hasn't had a wheel before - they usually get experienced in not flying out quite early on in wheeling.

Nah, he didn't like the 10in wheel so put the 7in back in and he's straight back on it. Also had to take the tiny clay pot out of the sand so he has more space to roll.
I just ordered him a MouseBro like Finley has which should be the right size for him.
Bernard's one of the smallest Robos i've ever seen but maybe he's young and will grow yet.

How lovely, he seems quite confident? Perhaps he’s just super pleased to have a cosy home with a lovely wheel he can whizz about on :)
I'm a bit confused tbh. I was told that he's extremely shy and scared but he's wheeling like mad. Saying that, they are always out and excited the first couple of days and then go underground for a bit. Maybe he's getting rid of built up energy and stress because his old cage was bare.

It makes me wonder if it's the first time he's seen a wheel! I think he could well grow. He may have "failure to thrive". Both our rescue hamsters were very tiny and grew and filled out once in a good environment with good diet and care :) Either than or he's a runt!

I saw his Spelos which usually has a wheel but my mind was so focused on getting him out of it that i can't recall seeing one.

Aside from being very short, he's not fluffy like Robos normally are. I have seen him roll in the sand which will help. Had to put the tiny clay pot back in as he appeared to be looking for it.

Bernard was on the wheel when we got up this morning.
So was Scottie but Scottie purposely makes as much noise as he can to get treats before going to bed.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
Pip isn't that fluffy either. More sleek.

How lovely to hear little Bernard is settling in and can have a nice sand bath. :)

Just took a photo of Bernard eating cucumber. Not sure why his previous humans said that he's extremely shy. I'm sitting right next to his cage.

I suppose many people don't understand the nature of a Robo. They think they are shy because they are independent and think they are crazy because they are so fast.

The MouseBro wheel is much better for him. He still hasn't learnt to brake but he doesn't get thrown out of the wheel now.

20221201_211352.jpg

He is so cute! I wonder if he did not have any hides in his previous home. Lots of hiding places help a lot as we know. He looks so happy.

He really is cute! So glad he is quite friendly. He maybe senses the nicer atmosphere with you.

I wouldn't be in a rush to move him either - while he settles into the bin cage for a couple of weeks.

He lived in a basic Savic Spelos without any kind of enrichment.
He probably had cage rage/stress then. The environment can make such a big difference to their behaviour. I'm sure Bernard is happier now.

With no enrichment I can imagine he would have felt scared so no wonder he seemed shy. Plus, they likely did not let him settle. Im so happy Bernard is with you. After all, you are the ultimate robo guardian.

• Love
According to the literature, the Hamster Heaven has 9.5mm bar spacing. But sometimes when you measure cage bar spacing yourself, I find it's slightly less.

The combination of living in the dreadful Spelos and people trying to tame him must have been very stressful and scary for him.

I'm no threat to him and don't make any demands so i think that he is fairly relaxed and enjoying himself.

I talk to him and sit by his cage so he can get used to my smell and voice but that's all i'm doing at the moment. I offered treats with my fingers but he's not interested in food. I think he only eats when he's hungry.

He uses every single thing in his cage and rolls in the sand. He's very entertaining to watch and just came sniffing to his door when i talked to him. He is aware of me and it's great that he doesn't run away.

Back