Second chance hamsters

So glad you got him and he's going to a lovely home! He is a gorgeous colour - he looks to be chocolate banded? Maybe not exactly chocolate but some shade of brown!

What a sad story for this sweet boy. What a huge relief he is going to have a wonderful retirement home. He is beautiful. I can see why you were tempted.

Reactions: Maz
I have so much spare hamster stuff including two Alaska cages and the rescues have enough themselves. Rehoming is slow which could be a sign of the times with the ever increasing cost of living.

The unwanted hamsters keep coming in though and this situation usually gets worse a couple of months after Christmas when kids start to get bored of their living toys.

Sadly, pet shops will keep selling more hamsters and breeders will keep breeding.

I've just done a basic set up of an Alaska with spare stuff to advertise it for sale and will price it too high on purpose so it doesn't sell quickly.

I want people to see that a Syrian hamster needs an absolute minimum of a 80cm x 50cm cage, they need a big house and a 28cm wheel and some enrichment.

I've sold spare cages with set ups before but it is risky. Risky because of the temptation to pick up an unwanted hamster from the small ads......

20221227_125822.jpg

That looks amazing! I think that is such a good idea to post it so people will get an idea of what a good set up should be.

I was browsing ARC rescue and saw they have quiet a few hamsters. Three Syrians were being housed together but thankfully ARC rescued them.

So glad those Syrians got rescued.

I was at work last night and browsed the ads to block out the constant christmas songs singing.

Saw a poor Syrian inside a hamster ball which always upsets me but then the ad was deleted. Hopefully she found a home with someone who cares about her welfare.

Another Syrian is in the dreadful Savic Geneva. That's the cage Maureen the shredder was in. He's quite a distance away....

I hope that poor Syrian was rescued. I just looked up that cage and saw it is 60cm. :( Remind yourself that you do not have any space. Stay firm!

It's an awful cage. Only 60 x 29cm. Very narrow and tall. The irony is, it's not cheap! Costs about the Same as a Savic Plaza. Certainly not suitable for a syrian.

Not suitable for any hamster in my opinion.

There used to be that breeder on one of the small ads sites who used to breed white Robos. She put them in Savic Geneva cages ( must have bought them wholesale or cheap i guess) with swings and pink or blue houses, flower ornaments etc to make it look like a hamster Wendy house then tried to sell them at a silly price.

I contacted her and offered a tenner for each Robo because i wanted to rescue the poor Robos and then explained why. I knew fine that she'd be offended and that was my aim.

She stopped trading but i'm sure it had nothing to do with me unless more people who cared about hamsters contacted her and i was part of a group.

A hamster was going free locally so i collected her. I had to soak and scrub her stinking cage first before adding bedding, a wheel and a few bits to make her comfortable while she's here. She's going to a rescue at the weekend for rehoming.

What a gorgeous girl! And lucky she came to you. I hope she finds a lovely home.

What a stunning hamster! It is very lucky you found her.

Reactions: Maz
Aw look at that face! She looks very happy.

What a lovely girly. I am still hoping to adopt a longhaired male syrian at some point. Got to move first though which is proving to be quite a challenge.

Well havent got to move first but it feels sensible.

Back