Second chance hamsters

Thank goodness you popped in for a look Beryl, hope they have a nice rest tonight. They are lucky little hams to have been found by you and will hopefully go on to find their forever homes. You do such a fabulous job of rescuing. šŸ˜ƒ

Reactions: Maz
I made as much mess as the hamsters tonight setting up a hamster bedsit.

Sometimes hamsters stop over for a night or two en route to a rescue. Sometimes i collect them without their cage or their cage is too tiny for a proper wheel, broken or stinks.
I found a small cage with a big front door cheap and just set it up. It only has enough space for the basics of house, wheel, hide, tunnel and sand which is fine for a couple of nights.
Clive got all excited and probably thought it's another play cage. He tried everything to climb into it but i put it on a dolly trolley. He kept jumping trying to get a hold of the bars, he kept climbing on my lap and tried to get into it from there but in the end he sat on the floor looking very sulky.

Aw, Clive helping you set up a cage :) Kind of. I make a massive mess every time I clean or set up a cage!

I'm off to collect two Syrians now. Meant to be. I was scheduled to work this weekend but then had a cancellation and got the two dwarfs yesterday. This morning i missed the next offer of work and shortly after the rescue got in touch about the two Syrians.
I'm not going to get rich at this rate but helping four hamsters to a better life is worth a lot more to me. I'll work next week. The rescue is full up now.

I hope all goes well collecting the Syrians. It really sounds like fate with you collecting them and the dwarfies too.

She lived in a broken box which i can't call a bin cage because it had no lid. She had a small flying saucer, a dwarf hamster seesaw, a water bowl, a food bowl and that was it. She had food and water (i have collected hamsters who had neither) and substrate with bedding.
No wheel, no house, no hides, no chews and she refused to leave her seesaw so rescue lady put her in the Alaska with her tube to let her come out in her own time.
She looks like a smaller version of Clive and squealed like him when rescue lady talked to her. That's her in my car.

20230122_135246.jpg

I'm sure she'll be happier in an Alaska :)

I've just come back from a tip run of a car load of small cages from rescue hamsters and cages from the small ads taken out of circulation.

One cage in particular made me sad and mournful. A small pet shop own brand cage, marketed as a medium. All the signs of a sad little life that deserved so much more were there. The hamster ball, the flying saucer that didn't spin, the little chewed up wooden house, the opened bags of Snowflake and hay, dirty tubes, plastic bowl and bottle.

I've kept a small cage as an emergeny or overnight cage and set it up. I'm going to advertise it to show people that it is possible to enrich even a small cage including the use of recycling. I purposely made it colourful to get it noticed. I'll advertise it as a holiday cage and will add the recommended minimum cage size requirements.

Something positive needs to come out of this sad tip run.

That is a very good idea, Beryl. I can understand how sad it must have made you to see that cage. I think you removing such cages is brilliant as it means nobody will be able to use them.

I once rescued a pair of guinea pigs in a small cage that made a great litter tray for my bunny.

In fact, this cage is ideal as a holiday cage. It is small and portable but big enough for the essentials and it has a big front door.

Back