Socks: Mouseworks Dynamic Cardboard Redesign and Basic Tunneling

I tried a very thin cork mat, but the wheel still slides across the platform. When it stays in place, Socks really gives it stick! He is very happy with it.

Reactions: Maz
I think Socks is keen to get out to explore. He seems a lot more confident generally, issuing directions and having an adventure.

• Love
I have this vision of him standing there pointing, looking at you and giving you directions! They are great communicators really aren't they? (And cheeky!)

What is the wheel standing on? A house? Or a Platform. Just wondering if you could just glue the base of the wheel to the platform - if you ever want to remove it again you should be able to pull it off and sand the top of the platform a bit.

I'm not sure how sand paper would work. Would it be out of site/access? Sandpaper isn't good for hammy feet if it becomes exposed.

Or - someone did this with the standard plaza - you could screw the wheel upside down from the roof. It means taking the two screws out of the bottom and holding the wheel upside down against the roof while you put the screws back in from the outside (with two large washers like these between the screw and the bars).

Washers

I was thinking of gluing thin strips upside down under the wheel base where Socks wouldn't come in contact with them. Sock's wheel is on a platform. I could buff the platform a little bit, just under the wheel. The wheel has no screws in the bottom, but the upside down trick sounds like a really good one.

Socks: Mom and I spent time in the shower room. I did some running around and exploring, Mom did a bit of nagging, I scent marked my tunnels and left a supply of poops in one for future reference.
Mom: I transferred Socks to the shower room in his hamster carrier for safety and it worked well. He is so much more confident from free roaming. I need to watch him constantly in case he ingests paint or anything hazardous, but there are only a couple of places where that might happen. He was quiet last night, no bar biting, just some nice wheel running and coming over to say hello at 3am.

• Love
Adding an extra hide/platform allowing deeper bedding to Blossom's cage really helped her to settle down. She's much quieter and more settled, not so crazy and up and down. I often hear her under a platform munching on a banana leaf 🍃

Ah interesting it has no screws in the bottom. Is that the pets at home one? If so that suggests it’s not exactly the same as the trixie one. To hand it upside down would mean drilling holes for screws!

Yes, I'll post some pictures tonight. It's the P@H wheel. It's a nice wheel.

There are two screws in the base, I didn't register them at first. I would need to add more though to hang the wheel upside down.

Attachments

• 20240412_071708.jpg
    20240412_071708.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240412_071712.jpg
    20240412_071712.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240412_071720.jpg
    20240412_071720.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3
I must do something though as wheel malfunctions are a nightly occurrence.
Socks: luckily the tapping brings assistance but it does affect my nightly fitness regime!

A bit of slow wheel running. I didn't want to loosen the wing nut suddenly and risk startling Socks, who is trying to speed up his Rolly wheel. It must be like a dream where you find you can't run!

Socks: Good news, Mom has fitted the Songmics up so that it goes round the guinea pigs' cage. I can have my nice free roams back. I have started bar biting since I started free roaming, but that is my hamster nature, Syrians just want to have space. Mom said something about putting me in a tank, but I don't think she can afford one, so I should be safe! I am a cheeky little chappy, but I love my free roaming (and my mom!)

It is odd he is bar chewing in such a big cage. Is it just when he knows you’re there? No big clean outs recently or anything? What does his set up look like now? I guess the wheel moving doesn’t help!

Sock's wooden P@H wheel stays in his cage all the time and he uses his Rolly wheel when out. I cleaned out a third of the cage and put in new bedding, but we've had clean outs before without bar biting. He may be doing it to get me to take him out for a run (at 3am)😄

Socks: The guinea pigs are huge! I'm doing out of cage time in my playpen ATM, but I'm doing less bar biting (Mom put up cardboard everywhere!). The guinea pigs squabble as Truffle is a bit of an insecure leader, but Mom is very kind to them both and moves about slowly and gently as making them nervous makes them squabble more. Feeding them hay and piling it up so they can hide in it helps to placate them. Keeping them calm is important.

Back