Socks: Mouseworks Dynamic Cardboard Redesign and Basic Tunneling

Socks: Mom manages them with kindness and they are improving and squabbling less. They also love comfort and lounging around after they have fed. I love both my wheels and am always delighted to be reunited with my Rolly! Have a nice day everyone, I'm off to bed now ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Socks navigates his veggies bowl carefully through a frothing sea of Fitch 🫑🥦🥣

Attachments

• 20240418_203819.jpg
    20240418_203819.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 7
Socks is looking very well :). Do you know what his weight is now? I’m guessing he’ll be about full grown?

Thank you! He weighs about 188g. He's about 9 months now. This is his first spring! He is eating well and empties his veggies bowl, including the Nibblot, every evening.

• Love
He gets Harry Hamster, Little One and Bunny Dream at the moment. I give him a new bowl of Meusli every evening as I reckon once he has sorted through his bowl he will have nothing really interesting left and it's nice to give him new and interesting food as stimulation.

He's a nice healthy weight then, and probably fully grown now :)

Aw lovely to see Socks :) I don't know if it's my eyesight but he almost looks like a little poodle on that photo :) A hamstery poodle!

He has been secretly swotting French in his burrow, he can say "Merci buckets" and Bonjour Madame! 😄

• Haha
...I have to admit, it's not a particularly clear photo! 🐩

Yes they won’t keep still will they? 🤣

Socks was out and about at a respectable hour last night so I set up the shower room for out of cage time. We had a lovely time. It's quite nice in there as the hot water pipes keep it nice and warm.
Socks: Mom followed me around, occasionally nagging about not chewing. I had a nice time scent marking my concertina tunnels by rolling up and down energetically.
Mom: I had to keep the tunnels from rolling around by pinning them in place with Sock's carrier and holding them. Eventually Socks stopped for a nap on a cardboard box (blocking off the basin stand as it's part hollow and might have loose paint etc in it).
Mom: Socks was quiet last night, but at 3am I put his wheel straight so he could carry on having a run. The gin gins were fairly quiet last night. There was just a little bit of rumbling. They seem to know that I want them not to be too raucous. Things seem fairly relaxed between them currently. I am using filtered water for Socks and the guinea pigs to try to avoid urinary stones. I have changed them off food with high soya content as well in case it affects their hormones.

Socks: I was out at 10:30 last night, but Mom crashed so I didn't get my out of cage time, but I'm a cheerful fellow and used my wherl a lot, building up and sustaining max velo.
Mom: the guinea pigs made a mouse and Socks hid behind his wheel. With a bit of reassurance he came out again. He stared at the guinea pigs and then stared searchingly me.
Socks: Mom said not to worry, they can't get into your cage. I had coriander, bell pepper, peas, cucumber and a Nibblot last night, but I only started eating my veggies at 10pm.Mom does a good job of keeping the gin gins calm and relaxed and they are getting on well at the moment.

Mouse should be noise and wherl should be wheel...

Socks: So Mom cable tied the Songmics partitions together and set them up
I enjoyed a lovely run and met the guinea pigs (from a distance and safe in my playpen). I decided they're not too bad, but sometimes I need to go behind my wheel for a bit still.
Mom: It's great sitting in the middle of a rodent community. I gave the gin gins lots of hay and they were calmly eating while Socks had a nice sandbath and ran around his plsy pen

Lovely to hear about Socks again and it does sound nice being surrounded by rodents :)

Lovely to hear about Socks again and it does sound nice being surrounded by rodents :)
Thank you! Yes, the Songmics pen works well held together with cable ties (no pegs) and the pieces can be drawn quite close together. You can use a blanket instead of the base pieces and then just fold it up when done. It suits a hamster who is not a major chewer and I would still supervise constantly in case he or she tries to push under the bottom of the playpen wall. You could also use the base pegged to the cable tied side pieces and unpeg them when done. It's best to keep the ends of the cable ties facing outwards in case they get chewed as any chewed on, broken pieces could be sharp. You can also get bigger, softer reusable cable ties and take them off after using the pen.

That's a really good tip if someone wants to fold it away easily. Maybe add that tip to the playpen thread?

Back