Tino's thread

Yep! Mind you Tino seems a bit cautious generally - Raffy would have been up there scoffing the food. Although it is early days.

I haven’t had chance to process any video yet but Tino did a good job of messing up the cage ha ha - so it’s a good job I took the video last night before he did that.

He seemed to have had a digging session in front of the house which tipped the step over and covered up all the flower forage. I wonder if he was looking for an old hoard. There was a bit of a hoard in front of his old house.

This morning about 11am I decided to put his old food bowl on top of his house so he could access food easily and a familiar habit, and just use the hide roof for the odd easily reachable treat.

For some reason I looked down the top hole of his house. There was something down there but I couldn’t quite make out what it was. Then I realised it was his face! In the darkened house - looking up at me. I wondered what he was doing at that time in the morning. Maybe deciding where to sleep.

I can never sleep in a new house! He has a nice choice of sleeping places. I wonder which will be his main bedroom.

Thanks. Yes it was nice, if a surprise, to see his face at 11am. I do suspect he didn’t sleep much the first day.

I've been a bit slow processing videos and photos the last couple of days, but Tino is more confident in the cage the last couple of nights and can now reach the top of the ceramic hide quite confidently! Now I've put back the step he dug under and knocked over.

This is the cage setting up video. I also have a video of him exploring the cage which I haven't sorted yet and some nightcam clips of him to follow! It all came together in the end!

Wow! I love this Maz, what a fantastic new home for Tino, it looks so cosy, with so much to do and lots of yummy sprays, if I were a hamster I’d eat all night! Super video 😃 (Your bedding looks much softer than the Kaytee I used to use? Is this Clean and Cosy or another brand).

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Thanks Zara :-) It's Fitch - I wouldn't say it's softer than Kaytee - a bit rougher maybe but I think it's fine.

Looks fab 👌 I always like to see process photos/videos…you see so many pictures of beautiful completed enclosures, and wonder how to actually put them together yourself.

I didn't do as detailed a "putting together" as usual this time as I got interrupted by a minor crisis the day I was doing all that! Which is why the cage got left half set up in the middle of the living room for a week! So it's not quite clear how the items went where, but hope it gives an idea.

I tend to put house left, wheel back platforms right, another large hide and a cork log somewhere - then fill in the gaps :) It could do with something on the corner shelf, which is a bit bare!

The only creative bit was the three rounds of cork - I stuck two of them together with a bit of plastikote to make little steps up to the first platform :-) The other pieces was thicker so made a little step between the two platforms. As a result I haven't used any bendy bridges (partly because I don't have any right now! Just one and Raffy has that).

I think he really likes it too 😊. I’ll try and get the nightcam videos organised tomorrow.

I've been a bit slow processing videos and photos the last couple of days, but Tino is more confident in the cage the last couple of nights and can now reach the top of the ceramic hide quite confidently! Now I've put back the step he dug under and knocked over.

This is the cage setting up video. I also have a video of him exploring the cage which I haven't sorted yet and some nightcam clips of him to follow! It all came together in the end!

Great video, that really does justice to how big it is. Can't wait to see more of Tino exploring it

• Love
Here's Tino exploring the cage on the first night he was in there. Very cautiously and slowly! He is quite a slow hamster generally - until he suddenly does something fast! A couple of funny moments in there :-)

Tino is certainly a cautious explorer but he did like what he found. His pouches were so full with all the treats he picked up. Had to smile over the monkey nut which finally he decided to pouch - once he could fit it in! I almost winced and was pleased he managed to fit down the hole into the house with it.

I had to laugh and wince at the monkey nut too 😊. It took him three attempts. The first thing he did when going in the cage was sniff out that peanut and papaya cookie and then wasn’t quite sure where to take it as it was a different house. Hence him carrying it around.

I also chuckled when he licked the monkey nut and then looked surprised and pulled back a bit.

Did you see him fall from over reaching as well?!

So nice to see Tino. He's a beautiful boy.
The cage looks great, I'm sure he will be very happy in his new home

Thank you. I think he likes it. He really does seem huge now - I need to weigh him again.

Back