Tino's thread

I hope so too. It shouldn't be a problem as it's faulty basically.

It was Tino's turn for a spot clean tonight - just a little bit. He has been left to his own devices for over 2 weeks now and still elusive, but I check the nightcam most days and he has the usual pattern at night. He's making himself at home and has a cosy nest and hoard in his house and made a pile of substrate in front of house house entrance door with poops in it. I couldn't find any pee in his house this time so I suspect the pile at the front door is the smelly stuff he's pushed out of the house. Clever boy! But I still couldn't find any pee, just poops, so will check the rest of the cage tomorrow.

He happily walked into a tube again tonight when I went to spot clean his house - so had some time in the bathtub again, as I don't have a playpen yet. He's really big! He seems more confident and disarmingly laid back (considering he's escaped once already). Still happy to be stroked and he ate quite a bit of food from my hand and sat in my hand and walked part way up my arm. He's learned how to pouch and pouched quite a lot of food. He seems a lot more confident.

His pile of substrate outside his house door

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1702 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_1703 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_1706 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_1713 jpeg.jpeg

He weighs 212g! The cucumber was to tempt him onto the scales, but funnily enough he ignored it and was more interested in nibbling the corner of the scales.

IMG_1717 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_1718 jpeg.jpeg

And a few short video clips.

Here he is eating his Easter treat (the mini Easter eggs I made recently). He seemed to like that :) Then had a nibble of the whimzee.

A bit more whimzee nibbling then enjoyed foraging in the cork granules and filling his pouches. He already had quite a bit in his pouches after sitting on my hand and pouching food.

And a bit more eating from my hand

He then climbed in the wheel and sat in it for a while. He didn't try and run in it and I thought maybe he didn't realise it was a wheel like the one in his cage so gently turned it a bit - he still wasn't in running mode and climbed out and had a good stretch.

Last edited:
What a lovely update on Tino. He looks so much more confident and settled. He really has grown! He looks much bigger then in the previous videos. It was so lovely to see him exploring and that he took food from you.😍

Thank you. I didn’t catch the earlier bit on video where he sat on my hand and pouched all the food then walked up my arm a bit :)

Yes I was :). He seemed very laid back and slow - deceptive! But it was between 10.30 and 11pm so he was maybe still a bit dopey.

Aw thank you. He is unusually sleek - I’ve not seen that before. Yes he seemed very familiar with me this time even though he’s been left to his own devices for a while. Maybe got used to sounds and smells. There was more eye contact this time and not the slightest bit bothered by my hand. Possibly because it had food in it and he has become very food orientated! He went back with full pouches and still emptied his food bowl last night. So maybe the desire for food and foraging is stronger than any qualms about a hand :-)

Lovely to see Tino again, he does look very laid back & very chunky! He’s grown a lot & is such a handsome boy.
Love the video of him on the wheel, it looks like he’s thinking this is a great place to just sit & chill, then the lovely stretch when he gets off 😍

Great job with taking a step back for a bit, it is so hard to resist interacting with hams! I love the video of him taking food from your hand, good progress with Tino. He looks comfortable with your hand in his territory :love:

Aw thanks ilguy. Yes I definitely think he needed a step back after his escape!

Admittedly, most of the splinters and roughness are on the outside, not the smooth inside where the hamster would be in contact, but there are also some on the inside where the pop out door is, plus along the top and bottom parts where a hamster could have contact. But apart from anything else it's unpleasant to handle when it's splintery on the outside! I got two splinters in my thumb and finger, just lifting a piece out of the box!

The first and third ones are on the inside where the pop out door is. So seems quality control hasn’t improved and is just the same as two or three years ago. A shame as my first one, about 7 years ago, was fine. And they’re not cheap. It’s shoddy!

I’m adding this to the playpen thread as well just as a warning.

View attachment 6677
View attachment 6678
View attachment 6679

View attachment 6681
View attachment 6682
View attachment 6683
View attachment 6680
Ouch this is not good hope anyone thinking of buying this checks out these photos they actually show how much has sharp splinters

What a lovely update on Tino. He looks so much more confident and settled. He really has grown! He looks much bigger then in the previous videos. It was so lovely to see him exploring and that he took food from you.😍
Think Tino is going to be a big lad he's lovely n chunky 😍

Tino was out in his cage tonight! I heard banging noises and there he was. Still quite cautious in his cage and hid behind his wheel at first but then edged his way out. He ran under his cork tunnel when I opened the cage door, but edged forwards to take a bit of food from my hand. He then happily walked into the tube offered so took him to the bathtub again.

Once in the bathtub he did the dopey dark horse "I'm a slow hamster" thing again. I let him walk in the tube again to take him back to his house and he suddenly did the active "I'm going to escape" thing again and tried really hard to get past my hand over the end of the tube! So I had to walk quite quickly back to his cage and let him out in there. So bathtub - boring - he wants out and free roaming. But not yet!

His cage was smelly tonight so I went on a hunt for the pee again (leaving him in the bathtub for a short time). His pile of substrate in front of the door definitely had a pee smell so I think he had cleverly removed that from his house. Removed that and I could still smell pee but couldn't find any more! Had a good feel around. So I'll try again tomorrow.

Here he is in the bath tonight a couple of short videos of clips joined together

On this one he's quite funny - he's rocking in the wheel and washing at the same time :-)

This last one is just a few seconds - after he was back in his cage. I heard another banging noise and he was carrying his peanut and papaya cookie back to his house.

Aww, Tino is an explorer! Once a hamster decides what it wants, nothing else will do. Are you going to try and work on handling a bit more before free roaming? He does seem to have learned the taxi pretty quickly.

Yes he got the hang of the taxi quite early :-) His mission now is to escape the taxi again like he did before. I think he associates it with freedom :ROFLMAO: . When his playpen comes I'll progress to that and yes get him used to being handled, then have him on the sofa and see how he is coming back to a taxi before free roaming. The sofa usually progresses to free roaming when they finally decide to jump off. But he might not be as easy to get back as Raffy is - he's more sneaky! So will have to wait and see how it goes.

Back