Tino's thread

I'm not sure Jain :-) He seemed pretty much asleep to me a couple of times! Other times he would walk into the tube. It's time and patience I know.

So I needed to spot clean Tino's house - he was peeing in his sleeping area, so offered him the tube tonight and he happily walked into it. The cucumber does it every time. It was around 10pm and he was a bit sleepy at first. He had some bath tub time and gradually came round a bit. It seemed a bit boring for him so later I added a log and half an egg box with some cork granules in. Excuse my squeaky voice but I was twittering away to him. He is still happy to be stroked or walk over my hand, but any attempt to pick him up and he doesn't like it and wriggles free - so more time needed for that. I nearly held him a bit and he's very podgy round the tummy area! If you hear loud voices in the background it's the teenager. That didn't seem to bother Tino at all but when my foot made a squeaking noise on the side of the bath he froze.

The first one is about 2.5 minutes but gets more interesting as it goes on. The second one is about 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Lovely to see you Tino 😍
He was so cute & funny with the dish in the second vid!
Apart from the great escape he hasn’t really had that much time out has he? Sounds as though he’s doing quite well so far, still early days & maybe a bit soon to pick him up, will he walk onto your hand yet?

I usually start with just a tiny bit of a treat they only get when interacting like a bit of walnut, a pine nut, half a crock or anything extra special on the tips of my fingers then gradually move it to my palm & when they get used to walking onto my hand to take it slowly start to lift them a little, doesn’t always work but usually does then rather than pick them up I can let them walk onto my hand.

So I needed to spot clean Tino's house - he was peeing in his sleeping area, so offered him the tube tonight and he happily walked into it. The cucumber does it every time. It was around 10pm and he was a bit sleepy at first. He had some bath tub time and gradually came round a bit. It seemed a bit boring for him so later I added a log and half an egg box with some cork granules in. Excuse my squeaky voice but I was twittering away to him. He is still happy to be stroked or walk over my hand, but any attempt to pick him up and he doesn't like it and wriggles free - so more time needed for that. I nearly held him a bit and he's very podgy round the tummy area! If you hear loud voices in the background it's the teenager. That didn't seem to bother Tino at all but when my foot made a squeaking noise on the side of the bath he froze.

The first one is about 2.5 minutes but gets more interesting as it goes on. The second one is about 2 minutes.

Lovely to see Tino is making an appearance he seems quite chilled

What lovely videos of Tino! He is so cute and small. I love the gentle way you talk to him so no need to apologise for it. It shows how special he is to you. I laughed at him going under the snooze cube rather then inside it. 😍

His fur is very soft :) I've done a bit of the food on the hand and him walking on it. He'll happily walk on my hand. Yes it's a bit soon to try picking him up maybe, but I just wanted to see how he reacted as he was so chilled about being stroked. I stroked him a lot! He was ignoring food on the hand this time - clearly it wasn't tasty enough. I'm out of sunflower seeds.

Last edited:
I forgot to update on the Skyline playpen for Tino (particularly for @Lovelyness ). Don't bother! As with the previous one, the quality is bad and rough and splintery. I'm going to see if I can return it as I really don't fancy sanding the whole thing. I haven't even bothered to see if it will fit together ok.

I forgot to update on the Skyline playpen for Tino (particularly for @Lovelyness ). Don't bother! As with the previous one, the quality is bad and rough and splintery. I'm going to see if I can return it as I really don't fancy sanding the whole thing. I haven't even bothered to see if it will fit together ok.
Oh that's bad 👎 My life motto now is 'if a jobs worth doing, do it well' so it really frustrates me that so many people charge money for really shoddy workmanship 😡 thanks for the heads up!

Yes I'm disappointed. My last one was like this too and didn't even fit together! They are such large pieces of wood that to have rough splintery areas all over is a lot of work. And the last thing a hamster needs is to rub up against splinters. So I think for an extra £5 or whatever, and possibly a longer wait, the Happy Henry Homes one is a better bet. Other things I've had from them have a good finish and aren't splintery.

Admittedly, most of the splinters and roughness are on the outside, not the smooth inside where the hamster would be in contact, but there are also some on the inside where the pop out door is, plus along the top and bottom parts where a hamster could have contact. But apart from anything else it's unpleasant to handle when it's splintery on the outside! I got two splinters in my thumb and finger, just lifting a piece out of the box!

The first and third ones are on the inside where the pop out door is. So seems quality control hasn’t improved and is just the same as two or three years ago. A shame as my first one, about 7 years ago, was fine. And they’re not cheap. It’s shoddy!

I’m adding this to the playpen thread as well just as a warning.

IMG_1681.jpeg
IMG_1680.jpeg
IMG_1679.jpeg

IMG_1677.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1674.jpeg
IMG_1678.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, not good. It would need a major operation and some of those splinters are so big removing them might alter the shape of the panel. At least we know to stay away from this product.

Back