Second chance hamsters

He looks very sweet on the second photo :-) Posing almost. Definitely grumpy on the first one - unless you just caught his "not best side" :-). He's bound to need a bit of adjustment to the change so he'll maybe find favourite bits in the next few days - meanwhile his wheel is still familiar to him. I'm sure he'll settle down now - hopefully. I love those little steps by the way - where did you get those?

Toby was in the playground last night and got a proper run around. He used the wheels as well.
The taxi vessel i used was the wrong one. A mug didn't suit him. I think that he was suspicious of it. I offered him a plastic tube with an end cap on one end and he walked straight in.
I let him out on my lap and he lets me stroke him but jumps out of my hands when i try to scoop him up so i'll leave that for later.

In his cage he was busy but not so frantic. There aren't any major changes as things are still in the same place with the same substrate but i added a few things. I exchanged his sandbath for a bigger one and watched him roll around in it. He has a bon bon jar now lying on its flat side with a piece of hemp mat on the top (thanks Maz for the tip of using a dab of plastikote to keep hemp in place).

He looked for his loft once but wasn't upset by its absence and run through the other tube three times instead! He runs on his saucer as well but mainly on the upright wheel.

More observation and time will tell whether he is a stressed hamster or simply a very energetic one.

Toby looks to be such a happy healthy boy now :) And quite confident. He keeps reminding me of Raffy as well. I wonder if Toby has some yellow in him (they are supposed to be quirky, active and cheeky - and a bit maverick).

Last edited:
Toby was in the playground again last night, explored the floor toys and run on the old Orbital wheel (strange how they all favour that noisy old wheel).

He's definitely becoming more confident out of his cage. I only take him out when he walks into the tube then place the tube on my lap. He walked around on my legs for a bit but then hopped off. He likes to run and i'm starting to believe that this is simply something Toby enjoys doing. Like a Robo.

Restricted to a small cage without a servicable wheel or out of cage time, he wouldn't have had an opportunity to be himself. Maybe Toby's personality is now coming through.

He doesn't race about aimlessly like a stressed hamster (had a rescue dwarf like that before) but likes to stretch his legs on a straight, run around me and back again.

Back