Gardens and wildlife

The Acer with lilies under it looks really lovely :-) Very special. What are the plants to the right of that with yellow flowers? Lovelyness, your garden is looking lovely and very lush!

My wild strawberry has lots of flowers on it this year 🌸 Hopefully that means that there will be lots of wild strawberries 🍓 I daresay the birds/squirrels/insects will get there first! It occurred to me that a wild strawberry is Blossom sized...I think she would enjoy one or two 😊
20240512_184946.jpg

The Acer with lilies under it looks really lovely :) Very special. What are the plants to the right of that with yellow flowers? Lovelyness, your garden is looking lovely and very lush!
IMG_0584.jpeg

Maz, this is a close up of the yellow lilies you asked about

Thank you! Ah I thought the slightly reddy leaf looking things underneath the acer were the lilies! Or are those different lilies?

Ah! The reddy thing is not a plant at all but one of H’s garden ornaments! A Japanese lantern he says.

• Love
Reactions: Maz
That looks a very nice corner - I like the pot stand a lot :-). I'm trying to guess what's in the pots and can't but wondered if the lower left one was sweet violet, from the leaves?

That looks a very nice corner - I like the pot stand a lot :). I'm trying to guess what's in the pots and can't but wondered if the lower left one was sweet violet, from the leaves?
I should have said in my post...they're all begonias. The patio is pretty shady, so begonias grow well there. They keep flowering until about October, so look good all through the summer ☀️

BTW, the saucers of water are primarily there to stop the squirrels jumping down onto the pot stand and knocking the pots off!!

• Love
I thought the leaves looked familiar but couldn't think what they were :-) You have squirrels? They can have some interesting antics - I've seen the odd video where people have filmed a squirrel's antics in a garden and their attempts to circumvent anything squirrel-proof!

I thought the leaves looked familiar but couldn't think what they were :) You have squirrels? They can have some interesting antics - I've seen the odd video where people have filmed a squirrel's antics in a garden and their attempts to circumvent anything squirrel-proof!
We get lots of squirrels in the garden as there are woods only about 100 yards away from the house (remember my photos of the bluebells?). They didn't use to come in the garden when I had a dog but do now! I have found the water to be quite effective to keep them off the pot stand. However, they do tend to bury nuts in the pots, and the lawn now has quite a few holes where they have buried nuts! I do have a woodland bit at the end of the garden....I try to encourage them to stay in that area!

Yes I do remember the bluebell woods :) . I had no idea squirrels buried nuts in plant pots and the lawn. I’ve only really heard of them trying to get nuts out of bird feeders.

Yes I do remember the bluebell woods :) . I had no idea squirrels buried nuts in plant pots and the lawn. I’ve only really heard of them trying to get nuts out of bird feeders.
My neighbours have the same problems too! I have found that gravel on top of pots of bulbs works well at keeping them out, but haven’t solved the problem of the lawn. I’m rather hoping that having Daisy (my neighbours dog) in the garden today might deter them for a bit…hopefully her scent might put them off. I might have to borrow Daisy on a regular basis lol 😜

My Dad used to have a water gun and go out and spray cats that came into the garden 😂

A stroll in the sunshine this morning at my favourite gardens...lots of new things in bloom...followed by a spot of Al fresco knitting in my own garden this afternoon 😊
20240519_115626.jpg20240519_113424.jpg20240519_113603.jpg20240519_112952.jpg20240519_112939.jpg20240519_151932.jpg

Lovely garden and photos :-) It's been a really nice warm day here too. Have washing on the line. It sounds very relaxing knitting al fresco :) Our bluebells are on the way out already - normally they are around much longer. I'm not sure if they flowered late or finished early!

Back