Socks: Mouseworks Dynamic Cardboard Redesign and Basic Tunneling

Mom: Socks was up late yesterday. I saw him drinking from his bottle. Then he came across to say hello, which is a bit unusual as he is usually skittish in the morning. He looked at me very directly and held my gaze as he approached. He climbed onto his dual chamber house, looked at me for a while and then started to pouch the food in his bowl. He went to his nest with a large pouch on one side. I wonder why hamsters pouch asymetrically. Perhaps wild hamsters fill both pouches so that they can run from predators better.
Socks: Mom didn't realise that the water bottle had emptied itself in the night and there was just a hint of moisture left. I put on my most charming expression and went over to let her know. But Mom can't understand ultrasound and my squeaks were wasted 🙁

Mom: Luckily I changed the water bottles twice a day and realised that the water had dripped out steadily, soaking the bedding under the bottle 🙁
Socks: Then Mom lifted the roof and tried to give me water from another bottle while I was in my nest. "Mom, I just want to sleep. Don't worry about the water". Eventually she closed the roof and I went to sleep for the day 🙂
Mom: I felt really bad about the water bottle. Luckily while I am away during the day I leave an extra bowl in the cage in case the bottle malfunctions. It seems like a wisdom precaution!

That is a really interesting point :-) I wonder why they go for one pouch first. Perhaps to make sure the other pouch is free in case they find more food.

Oh I know that feeling - I found Tino's bottle empty the other day - which was odd as it shouldn't have been. I think sometimes they chew at the spout and it all leaks out. Higgins is ok as he has a bowl and a bottle. I might try Tino with a bowl as well. But providing it's checked daily they're fine - they get some moisture from veg as well.

Ah, good thought, Socks had some lettuce and cucumber for dinner, that must have helped. Yes, bottles can be unpredictable.

Back